Other than your typical uses for glycerin, there are also other amazing uses that you may not be aware of. This article will show you 9 uses of glycerin all of which you can do at home!
Glycerin | 9 Uses That Will Surely Amaze You
What Is Glycerin
What is glycerin exactly? It is a liquid, organic compound made of hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen. It’s thick, odorless, and colorless and is used in a wide range of beauty products such as moisturizers, soaps, and more.
Glycerin is also used in the printing industry, in pharmaceuticals, and in food as a sweetening agent. When you buy glycerin, it is important to know that there are 2 varieties.
The first variety is a natural one which is derived from plant oils. The second variety is a synthetic that is derived from petroleum-based oils. The natural one is toxic-free and safe to use. Synthetic glycerin can harm your body.
There are many uses for glycerin and in today’s article, I will cover 9 amazing uses such as:
- Helping to improve dry and flaky skin
- Serving as a skin moisturizer
- Serving as a skin toner
- Working as a lip moisturizer
- Soothing cracked heels
- Reducing skin aging
- Treating mouth ulcers
- Giving nails a brighter look
- Preventing frizzy hair
Let’s get started!
1. Helps to Improve Dry & Flaky Skin
Glycerin helps to form a barrier on the skin which helps to lock in moisture. It also helps to keep toxins from entering the skin.
The combination of the two helps to greatly reduce inflammation associated with certain skin conditions.
For psoriasis on the scalp:
- Combine equal parts of glycerin and aloe vera gel and leave on the scalp for 30 minutes.
- Next, shower as normal.
Do this process 2 to 3 times a week until you see that the condition has improved.
- Combine equal parts of glycerin and water.
- Using a cotton ball, apply this mixture to the affected areas and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Next, rinse the affected area with warm water.
For best results, do this twice a week.
2. Acts as a Skin Moisturizer
The humectant properties help keep moisture locked in which makes for really smooth skin!
How to use it as a moisturizer:
- Generously apply glycerin to your skin, making sure to cover those areas that may be extra dry.
- Leave on for a few hours.
- Rinse off with warm water.
Do this 2 or 3 times a week.
3. Acts as a Skin Toner
Glycerin is a great facial toner, especially for those who may suffer from dry skin. It also helps to improve the pH levels in your skin which, in turn, helps to reduce the appearance of scars.
How to use it as a facial toner:
- Mix thoroughly 1 teaspoon of glycerin with 2 tablespoons of rose water.
- Add mixture to a spray bottle.
- Wash your face as normal.
- Spray the toner onto your face and apply moisturizer.
You can use the facial toner every day. This mixture should be kept in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
4. Acts as a Lip Moisturizer
Other than lip balm, applying glycerin to your lips will make them extra soft and keeps them hydrated.
How to use it as a lip moisturizer:
- Combine equal amounts of glycerin and rose water.
- Apply this mixture to your lips a few times every day to keep them soft and hydrated.
5. Remedy for Cracked Heels
Glycerin is an extremely effective remedy for dry and cracked heels!
How to use for dry and cracked heels:
- Soak your feet in warm, soapy water for 5 minutes.
- Using a loofah, scrub your feet to remove any dead skin.
- Pat dry.
- Apply and massage onto your heels for 5 minutes.
- Put on socks and leave overnight.
- When you wake up the following morning, rinse your feet with warm water.
You can do this daily to achieve the best results.
6. Helps to Reduce Skin Aging
Glycerin is an effective remedy for maintaining that youthful look!
How to use to reduce skin aging:
- Combine 1 teaspoon of glycerin and 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil.
- Gently massage this mixture onto your face and neck area.
- After 15 minutes, rinse with warm water.
For best results, do this nightly before bed.
7. Treats Mouth Ulcers
Glycerin is a quick and effective way to help treat mouth ulcers.
How to use for treating mouth ulcers:
- Using a cotton ball, dab a small amount of glycerin onto the affected area.
- Allow the glycerin to remain on the affected area for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with cool water.
For best results, do this 3 or 4 times a day.
8. Gives Your Nails a Brighter Look
After frequent use of nail polish, your nails can become dry. Glycerin is an effective way to moisturize them, making them look healthy and bright.
How to use on your nails:
- Combine 2 tablespoons of rose water with 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide (3%) into a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of glycerin and mix well.
- Using a cotton ball, rub a generous amount of this mixture onto your nail.
- After 10 minutes, rinse with warm water.
You can do this 2 to 3 times a week.
9. Helps to Prevent Frizzy Hair
If you constantly battle with frizzy hair, try this very effective remedy.
How to use to help prevent frizzy hair:
- Dampen your hair and apply glycerin.
- After a few minutes, wash your hair as normal.
For smooth and healthy hair, you can do this 2 to 3 times a week.
Watch this video by Sneha S on how to use glycerin for young-looking skin:
There you have it! Amazing uses of glycerin that are easy and straightforward. By using it as is or mix it with other natural components, you’ll have instant homemade remedies for your skin, lips, hair, nails, and mouth.
Is glycerin part of your everyday routine? Share your experience with us in the comments section below!
- 5 Natural Remedies For Hair Loss
- Avoid These 17 Ingredients For Naturally Beautiful Skin At Any Age
- Creative Valentine’s Day Ideas | Sustainable Crafts For Your Love
Fellow homesteaders, do you want to help others learn from your journey by becoming one of our original contributors? Write for us!
Editor’s Note – This post was originally published in November 2019 and has been updated for quality and relevancy.