Indulge your sweet tooth while on quarantine with this scrumptious instant pot apple butter recipe!
This recipe is a great way to maximize the use of your apples — not just fruits but as sweeteners too! Not to mention, it is also perfect for homesteaders with kids because it is great paired with yogurt, pancakes, and ice cream.
So let us get started! Here are the steps in making instant pot apple butter.
RELATED: 20 Easy Caramel Apple Recipes
Step by Step Guide in Making Instant Pot Apple Butter
Usage of Instant Pot Apple Butter
- As a spread for pancakes, peanut butter sandwiches, waffles, pastries, toast, cornbread, and biscuits
- As a flavoring for ice cream, oatmeal, and marinade. You can also add or mix this in yogurt
- As a side dish and a condiment for dips, cheeses, pork chops or pork loin
- As a filling for baked goods such as muffins or cupcakes
- Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker
- Immersion Hand Blender
- Splatter Guard
- Silicone Mitt
- 5 pounds or approximately 12 apples, quartered and cored, peeled and unpeeled
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon whole allspice, freshly ground
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt or table salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- sweeteners such as brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup
Step 1: Put Spices In Instant Pot Pressure Cooker & Cook the Mixture
Put the following ingredients into the instant pot pressure cooker:
WANT MORE HOMESTEADING TRICKS, TIPS, AND TIDBITS?
Subscribe To Our Newsletter:
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 lbs or 12 cored and quartered apples.
Close the lid and then high pressure for 5 minutes and then natural release for 20 minutes by turning off the heat. Then turn the venting knob to the venting position to release the remaining pressure. And open the lid carefully.
Step 2: Blend and Sweeten Applesauce
Remove the two cinnamon sticks from the instant pot pressure cooker. With the immersion blender, blend the applesauce mixture into desired consistency.
Step 3: Taste the Mixture
Taste the applesauce mixture. Optionally add sweeteners such as honey, brown sugar, or maple syrup to taste.
TIP: Brown sugar darkens the color and speeds up the thickening process of the mixture.
Step 4: Thicken the Apple Butter
To thicken the applesauce mixture until your desired consistency and color, you can either do the Saute Less function or the Slow Cook More function.
For the Saute Less function:
- Press cancel and click the sauté button once. Then adjust the button twice to get to the Saute Less Function.
- Cooking time is roughly thirty minutes up to 1 1/2 hour. Remember to stir occasionally. The hot applesauce mixture can splatter so use a splatter guard and wear a silicone mitt.
For the Slow Cook More function:
- Cook with the lid off.
- Press Cancel and Click Slow Cook button once. Then click on the adjust button to get to the Slow Cook More function. Cooking time is roughly four to eight hours.
Step 5: Store In Jar and Refrigerate
You can store your apple butter in an airtight jar and refrigerate for up to one week, or in a freezer for up to one month.
NOTE: Keep in mind that when the apple butter is chilled in the refrigerator, the butter thickens up.
Enjoy Your Instant Pot Apple Butter!
This is one side dish that you and your family will surely relish. So enjoy eating it alongside your favorite meals!
Frequently Asked Questions About Instant Pot Apple Butter
1. To Peel or Not to Peel?
It depends on your preference. But I suggest you keep the peel on as the nutrients in an apple are found in its peel.
Should you choose to use your apple without the skins, you can simply blend and puree the apple skins with the applesauce to increase the micronutrient and fiber content.
2. Should You Add More Sweeteners?
Yes, you can! Aside from the normal sugar and honey, you can also squeeze in fresh lemon juice or pour in an apple cider or an apple cider vinegar.
This all depends upon your sweet tooth and the sweet teeth of your family. But I suggest not to make your apple butter too sweet as it might come on as strong when you mix it with your other dishes.
For more variation on how to make an instant pot apple butter, check out this video from The Starving Chef:
Of course, you can have your sweets while staying at home! This instant pot apple butter is just appropriate to satisfy your cravings, and I am sure your family will love this too!
What do you think of this homemade recipe? Share your best instant pot apple butter recipes in the comments section below!
Fellow homesteaders, do you want to help others learn from your journey by becoming one of our original contributors? Write for us!
- Apple Pie Recipe Ideas From Scratch
- Homemade Fruit Roll Ups | DIY Apple Fruit Leather
- 20 Pallet Projects For Your Garden This Spring | Homesteading