Make all your homestead dreams come true and build a log cabin by hand! Imagine living in a beautiful log home that you have constructed with your own two hands. Oh to be one with nature…
Keep reading to learn all the steps you’ll take in this process, so you can start building your own log cabin.
How to Build a Log Cabin by Hand
If you thought building a log cabin is hard, you better think again. With the proper plan, supplies and a bit of know-how, you can build your own. Keep reading for everything you need to know and of course, the steps!
What do you need to know before building a Log Cabin?
1. Plot your land
2. Choose a Plan / Blueprint / Kit
3. Know what wood and type of logs you will use. Logs can shrink as they weather so make sure you ask for professional advice.
4. Will you need help? A professional team?
5. Do you LOVE your Log Cabin Kit? If not, make changes.
6. Do you have Log Cabin Insurance?
7. Know your budget. This can be costly so plan ahead before constructing.
8. Avoid building in winter to reduce log checking, cracking and splitting. You will also want shelter from poor weather.
9. After building the cabin, wash the logs and let the house dry for a week.
10. Coat the cabin with a mixture of linseed oil & turpentine to the outside of the logs – repeat every 5 years.
Now for the steps you will take in order to build your log cabin by hand. You will need more detailed steps if you have never done this before, this tutorial wil prepare you for what’s in store.
How To Build a Log Cabin By Hand | Homesteading
But first, have you met Becky? She is one of my favorite Homesteader’s on Youtube. She build this log cabin with her own bare hands, and documented the process. You can find her video at the bottom. Thanks for the great tutorial Becky! [Subscribe to her Youtube Channel here]
Step 1. Set your foundation
Make sure that the piers and foundation are poured below the frost line.
Step 2. Sill the your logs
Step 3. Install joist and subflooring
Install the flooring horizontal from the direction of the joists.
— Homesteading (@HomesteadingUSA) May 15, 2016
Step 4. Log Joinery
To raise log easier face a nail ramp on the side wall and pull up log with block and tackle.
Step 5. Framing your roof
Step 6. Attach roofing board or sheath
Step 7. Assemble the door and window
Details in the video below.
Watch the whole process in this video tutorial! By Becky’s Homestead. Thanks Becky!
This video made it look so easy to build your very own log cabin. I’d love to know what you think in the comments below.
Like this post? You’ll also like: