Celebrate your bountiful harvest and take pride in your self-sufficiency with easy Thanksgiving side dishes you can cook from scratch with your very own harvest.
Thanksgiving Side Dishes Homesteaders Must Try This Year
1. Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Dried Figs
It’s all in the plating when it comes to serving simple dishes for special occasions like Thanksgiving. Take this recipe with roasted sweet potatoes and dried figs, you can also cook with ingredients from your harvest.
2. Mushroom and Pecan Stuffing with Fresh Herbs
WANT MORE HOMESTEADING TRICKS, TIPS, AND TIDBITS?
Subscribe To Our Newsletter:
We have to tell you this mushroom and pecan stuffing is perfection–you’ll love it within or on the side of the turkey. Nutty and crunchy pecans blend well with the chewy and savory mushrooms, and the fresh herbs complete the mix.
3. Buttery & Sweet Roasted Squash Mash
Besides the buttery and sweet flavor of this dish, you also get a show with its serving suggestion–served right in the squash shell. You also get one dish off your hands to clean up after the big Thanksgiving dinner!
4. Brussels Sprouts with Cranberry & Balsamic Glaze
If you’re not a fan of brussels sprouts, you will be with this cranberry and balsamic rendition. We suggest you pick overwintered brussels sprouts and never overcook these veggies.
What Is Overwintering? In plants, especially in growing winter vegetables, this means to grow them late in the growing season so they are harvested close to the winter season.
Brussels sprouts are said to taste better when harvested with a little frost.
5. Roasted Delicata Squash with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
Indeed, it’s a fancy name with a nice ring to it, but it’s really simple and easy. To serve this delicious veggie recipe, only add the seeds, cilantro, and Vinaigrette right before serving.
6. Chili Lime Grilled Corn on the Cob
Whether grilled or baked, a Thanksgiving spread is never without a dish of corn. This year, give the corn on a cob a tasty twist by adding chili and lime!
7. Grilled Curry Okra Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipe
Now, you don’t have to go south to enjoy a creole Thanksgiving meal with this super simple grilled curry okra recipe. With only okra as the main ingredient and a mix of heavenly spices, your taste buds will travel places for sure!
8. Crispy Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
Potato is another Thanksgiving staple you cannot ignore. Make a special dish with these spuds this year and let this recipe do the trick.
9. Dried Cranberry & Caraway Bread
You have here a fantastic flavor combo in dried cranberries and caraway seeds. If you haven’t thought about it in soda bread, this year’s the time!
10. Cauliflower Mushroom “Risotto” with Parmesan & Truffle Oil
The best Thanksgiving side dish takes form in this risotto recipe. It’s a fusion of different flavors and textures any foodie will love indeed!
11. Dijon Maple Green Beans with Caramelized Pecans, Bacon & Feta
Make room for some sparkling green beans on your Thanksgiving dinner table. Then, make sure the veggies stay green by blanching the veggies the right way.
12. Whipped Sweet Potato Casserole Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipe
Even out your savory main dishes with a sweet side dish. This whipped sweet potato casserole will do just the thing!
13. Chorizo Stuffing with Ciabatta & Sweet Potatoes
In case you don’t know, chorizo is a spicy Spanish pork sausage. Combine chorizo with ciabatta and sweet potato, and get an awesome side dish for Thanksgiving.
14. Gingered Pomegranate Lime Cranberry Sauce
Thanksgiving side dishes need not be all savory. Break tradition with this spicy-sweet gingered pomegranate lime cranberry sauce.
15. Garlic & Rosemary Pull-Apart Rolls with Asiago Cheese
We dare say bake these delicious pull-apart rolls on the day. You’ll fill your home with a heavenly aroma and your diners’ hearts with gratefulness.
16. Oven Roasted Asparagus & Bell Pepper Salad
Cook this oven-roasted asparagus and bell pepper salad now for trial runs and serve it perfected on Thanksgiving!
17. Corn and Bacon Casserole for Thanksgiving
What did we say about the humble corn? They are not going away for the holiday.
In fact, we have here another must-try side dish–a comforting corn bacon casserole.
18. Loaded Scalloped Sweet Potato Casserole
We have here another sweet potato side dish recipe, because what can we say? They are gluten-free, thus perfect for those who like it healthy!
19. Spinach Spoonbread
Give this savory spinach spoon bread a soufflé-like texture by whipping the egg whites. Enjoy the creaminess with healthy greens on the side of your Thanksgiving turkey.
20. Red Wine Braised Chestnuts and Pearl Onions
Enjoy roasted chestnuts early on Thanksgiving by toning down the strong flavors of pearl onions in this fresh side dish recipe.
21. Thanksgiving Stick of Butter Rice Dish
This is a super simple and easy rice side dish recipe, but something to complement a Thanksgiving turkey, perfectly!
22. The Best Green Bean Casserole
We can’t have enough green beans, so we have here another entry (and probably the best). If these greens are in your garden, all the better for you!
23. Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa and Herbs
Here is another healthy side dish recipe not usually on a traditional Thanksgiving menu. All the better to give it a try, right?
24. Pear Squash Purée with Pecans and Rosemary
If you want your sides fresh, creamy, with bits of crunch and aromatic spice, look no further than this pear squash purée with pecans and rosemary.
25. Butternut Potato Puffs
Prepare your taste buds to individual helpings of crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside butternut potato squash.
26. Mashed Purple Sweet Potatoes
Add more color and flavor to your Thanksgiving dinner spread with this mashed purple sweet potatoes.
27. Parmesan Scalloped Potato Stacks
An elegant Thanksgiving dinner, you say? Try this parmesan scalloped potato stacks and serve an elegant side dish on a budget!
28. Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Looking for make-ahead side dishes for a crowd? Let a crockpot be your ally and take on this slow cooker mashed potato recipe.
29. Hasselback Potatoes with Prosciutto and Sage
Help yourself to another potato recipe with all the flavors of fall and the glory of prosciutto on top of a neatly sliced potato.
30. Slow Cooker Stuffing Sausage Apple Stuffing
31. Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Chorizo and Paprika
We have to warn you, never overcook your brussels sprouts so you can get the best from this shredded brussels sprouts recipe!
32. Double Pumpkin Cornbread Stuffing with Figs, Apple, Chorizo, and Almonds
This double pumpkin cornbread stuffing might be a little bit too elaborate, but a comforting side dish recipe sure deserves the Thanksgiving menu.
33. Beer Cheese Corn Spoon Bread
Who would have thought beer and cheese are a winning combo? Try this beer cheese spoonbread and you’ll think so, too.
34. Maple Roasted Endive
Endive isn’t exactly everybody’s cup of tea but, maple roasted endive might be an exception.
35. Pumpkin Bread Rolls with Cinnamon Butter
What better combo for Thanksgiving than pumpkin and cinnamon? Find it in this pumpkin bread rolls oozing with fall flavors.
36. Sweet & Sour Pumpkin
If a sour side dish isn’t your thing, you needn’t worry. You don’t have to be liberal on the vinegar and sour cream since sweet pumpkin is much too creamy for you to focus on the sour part.
37. Thanksgiving Buttery Garlic Knots Recipe
Any foodie will agree, butter and garlic is a power combo leaving food ingredients from veggie, poultry, and seafood pleasing to the taste. It didn’t even escape this easy bread recipe here, perfect for Thanksgiving.
38. Sauteed Spinach with Cranberries and Feta
The humble spinach can claim a spot on your Thanksgiving menu by sauteing the greens with garlic and dried cranberries, then topping it with feta cheese!
39. Rosemary Roasted Carrots
Looking for colorful Thanksgiving side dishes? Find it in this rosemary roasted carrots recipe you have to cook with colorful heirloom or rainbow carrots.
40. Brown Sugar Butternut Squash
This brown sugar butternut squash is a super simple recipe but deserves a place beside the esteemed Thanksgiving turkey.
41. Cornbread Dressing with Fresh Herbs
The aroma of cornbread and fresh herbs baking is just what you need to be feeling extra thankful this Thanksgiving.
42. Skillet Pumpkin Cornbread with Cinnamon Maple Butter
Any side dish cooked in a skillet is a sure homesteader’s dish through and through! So, make room for this skillet pumpkin cornbread this holiday.
43. Green Beans with Pecans, Red Peppers, and Onions
Red and green are signature Christmas colors, but this Thanksgiving it isn’t so bad to try this green bean side dish recipe.
44. Cauliflower Gratin Thanksgiving Recipe
45. Creamed Kale Stuffed Mushroom
With your Thanksgiving dinner menu taken care of, check out this video showing you 5 tips for setting your Thanksgiving table:
We are so sorry for this hearty list of Thanksgiving side dishes we know you will all love but will leave you confused with a lot of amazing choices. How about you start trying each of these dishes now for the one to ultimately make it to your Thanksgiving menu.
You know we love doing DIY homesteading projects and becoming more self-reliant by learning more about how everything works around the homestead. Do you have a favorite Thanksgiving side dish recipe that’s a staple on your homestead? Share it with us and we’ll give it a shot.
That’s all, fellow homesteaders! Did you enjoy our list of Thanksgiving side dishes recipes? Let us know in the comments section below what you thought of our Thanksgiving side dishes list.
- 25 Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Crave Before and After Thanksgiving
- 19 Paleo Recipes to Make This Thanksgiving | Healthy Thanksgiving Ideas
- Container Gardening: The Pros and Cons Of Growing Vegetables On Your Deck
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on September 6, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.