I first started making herbal tea in the winter when I was looking for something warm to drink that did not have caffeine. I found that I enjoyed it so much, I now make herbal tea year round. It is great to drink at night, when you are trying to wind down and relax, and of course, in the colder months, when you are trying to keep warm. Learn how to make herbal tea today!
How To Make Herbal Tea
Herbal tea is extremely versatile, you can use a multitude of ingredients, and they can either be fresh or dried. I started growing chamomile and peppermint in my garden, just so I would have it to make tea. I also like to dry mixtures of herbs and package them in bags so I can give tea to friends and family as gifts. You would be surprised how much people appreciate it, especially when you add a cute handmade label.
In addition to the fact that nothing quite compares to drinking herbal tea on a cold day, herbal tea also has a lot of other benefits. It is caffeine free, which is great, and it is good for:
- stomach and digestive problems
- calming the nervous system
- source of vitamins and minerals
- antioxidant properties
- helping to avoid colds
- cleansing the body
- relieving stress
There are different kinds of herbal teas you find in the market such as:
- Chamomile Tea
- Peppermint Tea
- Lemon Balm Tea
- Lavender Tea
- Ginger Tea
- Green Tea
- Rosemary Tea
It is easy to make a tea and you can usually find the ingredients in your kitchen to make at least one of these. Other ingredients can all be found in a grocery store.
Instructions To Make Herbal Tea
Step One – THE BASIC TEA BASE
You need a basic tea base to start with. The varieties below are my favorite choices, but feel free to try another. (If you have one you really like, please share it with me in the comments section. I'd love to hear about it!) You can make the base from fresh ingredients, dried ingredients, or from a tea bag you purchase.
Choose one of the following for your herbal tea recipe:
- Peppermint – This helps digest food and a great way for cooling the body. You can use this ingredient if you have irritated lungs or if you want to ease colds.
- Ginger – It helps energize and stimulates. If you want to remove cold from your body, this is a good ingredient.
- Yerba Mate – It is considered as the green tea of South America. It is contains medicinal properties and is great for the mind.
Step 2 – Add Ingredients for Health and Flavoring
THESE ADD SWEETNESS
- Honey – provides many health benefits
- Licorice Root – this is a good sweetener
- Stevia Leaf – It is 400 times sweeter compared to sugar. It is known to balance blood sugar levels and help diabetes.
THESE HELP SUPPORT GOOD HEALTH
- Peels of lemon and oranges are rich with vitamin C.
- Hibiscus Flowers – it helps lower blood pressure and rich in vitamin C
- Eucalyptus – soothing vapor
- Gingko – it helps circulate the blood in the body
- Eleuthero Root – or also called as adaptogen. It helps strengthen the body and increase general resistance to daily stress. This is a great to build strength.
- Echinacea Root – is used for healthy immune system support as well as to support healthy sinus function during times of need.
- Dandelion Root- if you lose your appetite, use dandelion. It also helps cleanse kidneys and liver. It is used to increase urine production and as a laxative to increase bowel movements.
Step 3 – Brew The Herbal Tea
Pour a hot water into the cup of herbs to make herbal tea.
Cover for about 10 minutes.
Strain and Serve.
You can now enjoy your herbal tea! Have an herbal tea recipe you like and want to share? Please do so in the comments below.
Are you a tea fanatic? What's your favorite recipe and use?
persian food says
I can provide tea to buddies and circle of relatives as presents. You might be surprised how a whole lot humans admire it, specially whilst you upload a lovable handmade label.
Darren Wogman says
So happy to hear about the wax not effecting the color! I just bought a tin on a friend’s recommendation and was concerned about the wax changing the paint color! Now I don’t have to return it! The dresser is beautiful too! Love the color!