Not only is it important to keep our faces clean and free of viruses these days, but it is also vital to keep our environment healthy and waste-free. By using reusable cotton pads, we can save money and at the same time, live a sustainable life, especially in our homestead.
Often hypoallergenic and ultra-soft and lint-free, reusable cotton pads are fitted for durability and strength. These are specially created for the application of astringents, and lotion and the removal of nail polish, lipstick, foundation, and others that you apply on your face.
There are also some brands that give you exfoliating cotton pads for those extra deep cleansing, apart from application and removal uses of reusable cotton pads.
But since we can't really go out of our homestead these days to buy cotton pads, we can actually make this right in our very own home! Here, I will show you how to make them.
Making Zero-Waste Reusable Cotton Pads
- 1/2 meter cotton flannel
- safety pins
- sewing machine or needle and thread
Step 1: Cut Two Pieces of Cloth From the Cotton Flannel
With the cotton flannel, cut two pieces of cloth that are about 11.5 cm by 39 cm each. Measurements may also differ, depending on the size you want — as long as one side is short and the other is longer.
Step 2: Measure the Cloth
- Concentrate on the edge of your 39 cm side cloth.
- From the side, mark a 1/2 cm, and then 5 cm from that point.
- Create another 1/2 cm gap, and then mark out another 5 cm. Keep on doing this until you reach the other end of your cloth.
- Do this also at the other end of your 39 cm cloth.
- Using a pencil and ruler, join the marked lines together — from top to bottom.
Step 3: Repeat the Same Measurements
- On the 11.5 cm side of the material, do the same measurements.
- From the edge, mark a 1/2 cm, and then 5 cm from that point, and then create another 1/2 cm gap, and another 5 cm until you reach the edge of your cloth.
- Repeat this process at the other side of the 11.5 cm cloth.
- Using a pencil and ruler, join the marked lines together — from left to right.
Step 4: Review the Material
The material should end up with a total of 14 squares and a small gap between each square.
RELATED: Homemade Avocado Face Mask | Recipe
Step 5: Attach the Materials Together & Sew
- Place the cloth you have drawn over the other cloth.
- Using a safety pin, attach the two pieces of cotton flannel cloth together.
- If you don't have a sewing machine in your homestead, you can just manually sew — using your needle and thread — the two pieces of material together. You can just do a straight stitch.
Step 6: Cut Between the Gaps
Using a pair of scissors, cut between the 1/2 cm gaps to create the reusable cotton pads. You can also trim around the edges to make them look a little bit neater.
Step 8: Store the Cotton Pads
You can either store the cotton pads in either a glass jar or a plastic bag, depending on where it might be accessible for you.
How To Use Reusable Cotton Pads
Step 1: Apply Any Skincare Products
[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/B8RyC1vh9Zx/ hidecaption=true width=800]
Simply apply any of your favorite skincare products into the reusable cotton pads, and then gently massage onto your skin.
Step 2: Wash the Cotton Pads
[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/B2rfvJMn5Oi/ hidecaption=true width=800]
You can either wash the cotton pads by hand or put it in a delicate bag in the washer. Clean them as you normally would in the washing machine.
Step 3: Dry the Cotton Pads & Store
Allow the cotton pads to air dry flat, and you are ready to use them again and again!
If you want to see how to create these reusable cotton pads, watch this video from Emily Wandel:
It is important to make everything reusable these days since we really can't go out of the house due to quarantine, cotton pads included. As I previously mentioned, cotton pads can not only keep your face free of virus but using reusable cotton pads can also make your environment healthy and waste-free!
How do you make your own reusable cotton pads? Share with us in the comments section below!
Fellow homesteaders, do you want to help others learn from your journey by becoming one of our original contributors? Write for us!
- Avoid These 17 Ingredients For Naturally Beautiful Skin At Any Age
- 11 DIY Beauty Tips with Honey For A Completely Natural Makeover
- How To Make Lacto-Fermented Sauerkraut In A Mason Jar