Anyone who has ever experienced gum abscesses knows all too well the pain and irritation they can cause. Abscesses on the gums normally take a while to heal. However, with the right home remedies, you can speed up the process and finally feel relief.
Gum Abscesses | Remedies You Can Make At Home
Before I go any further, I would like to point out that a gum abscess is different than a tooth abscess. Here are the differences between the two:
Gum Abscess Symptoms
A gum abscess, (also called a periodontal abscess) is usually caused by an infection in the space between the tooth and gum. The infection may occur after food gets trapped between the gum and tooth. In people with severe periodontal disease, bacteria can build up under the gum and in the bone.
The symptoms of a gum abscess include:
- Tender and painful gums
- A bump on the gums that can range from a whitish color to a reddish color
- Swelling on the gums surrounding the abscess
- Pus coming from the area where the abscess is located
If you feel like your gum abscess is severe, please contact your dentist immediately. If left untreated, it can cause damage to the healthy tissues and bone around it.
Tooth Abscess Symptoms
A tooth abscess, (also called a periapical abscess) occurs inside the tooth. This happens when the tooth’s nerve is dead or dying. This type of abscess shows up at the tip of the tooth’s root. Then it spreads to the surrounding bone.
The symptoms of a tooth abscess include:
- Pain and inflammation on the gums
- Pus discharge from the affected tooth
- Tooth is extremely sensitive to the touch
- Inflammation of the jaw and face
- Inflamed glands in your throat
- If left untreated, symptoms can include vomiting, dizziness, and fever
Important information regarding tooth abscesses: In my opinion, since a tooth abscess is internal (the root area of your tooth), you should seek medical attention from a dentist immediately. An abscessed tooth can turn into a serious infection, which can spread to other parts of your body, if left untreated.
Gum Abscess Home Remedies
In this article, I will cover home remedies for a gum abscess which will include the following:
- Salt water
- Baking soda
- Clove oil
- Peppermint oil
- Oil pulling
- Apple cider vinegar (organic)
- Cold compress
Allicin is the potent antibacterial agent within garlic, which makes it a great home remedy for gum abscesses!
- Crush a few cloves of garlic to extract the juice.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the garlic juice directly onto the gum abscess.
This remedy can be done as often as you like.
- Peel and cut a clove of garlic in half.
- Place directly on the gum abscess for 7-10 minutes.
- 100% NATURAL ORAL CARE & PERIODONTAL TREATMENT - Treat Gingivitis, Gum Disease, Periodontal Disease, Mouth Ulcers, Bad Breath, Receding Gums, Oral Pain, Loose Teeth & Teeth Sensitivity.
- INSTANT RESULTS - Fast Acting Gum Disease Treatment. Stop Bleeding Gums, Bad Breath, Canker Sore, Oral Pain & More.
- MULTIPLE USE - Use as Natural Toothpaste, Mouthwash, Breath Refresher, Teeth Cleaning & More.
2. Salt Water
Salt water works well for so many oral issues, because it temporarily raises the pH levels within your mouth. By raising the pH levels, it creates an alkaline environment hostile to bacteria.
- Combine ½ teaspoon of salt and 6 ounces of warm water, stir.
- Swish the salt water for about 30 seconds, spit.
- Repeat until the 6 ounces of salt water is gone.
This remedy can be done 3 times a day. You can use himalayan salt, sea salt, or table salt.
3. Baking Soda
Much like salt, baking soda will temporarily raise the pH levels within your mouth and create an alkaline environment in which bacteria cannot survive.
- Combine ½ teaspoon and ½ teaspoon of salt
- Moisten a cotton ball with purified water and dip it into the baking soda and salt.
- Place the cotton ball onto the gum abscess and leave on for 40-60 mins.
4. Clove Oil
Clove oil has strong analgesic and antibacterial properties due the active ingredient, eugenol. Putting clove oil directly onto the gum abscess is not recommended because of its extremely strong taste.
- Combine 2-3 drops of clove oil with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the mixture to the gum abscess for 10-20 minutes.
The pain should be gone within 30 minutes.
5. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties and is great for relieving pain associated with gum abscesses.
- Add 3-4 drops of peppermint oil to a cotton ball and place directly onto the gum abscess.
- Hold it in place for 3-4 minutes and gently massage.
6. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is a great oral remedy for multiple oral issues such as bad breath, toothaches, cavities, and gum abscesses. It also whitens teeth as an extra benefit.
The best oils to use for this remedy are organic coconut oil, organic sesame oil, and extra virgin olive oil. The most common oil used is organic coconut oil, because it has the best flavor of the three.
- Take 1 tablespoon of the oil you prefer.
- Swish for about 15-20 minutes and spit.
If you wish, you can rinse with water afterward. Oil pulling is safe to do every day.
- WHO IS IT FOR? - This Professional Dental Hygiene Kit is designed for dentists and anyone who cares about their dental hygiene. And it also suitable for pet use. Healthy oral hygiene is much better than regular brushing, flossing, teeth whitening & dental check-ups. So improve your oral care routine today & add our high grade dentist prepared hygiene set!
- WHAT'S INCLUDED & WHAT'S MATERIAL ? - Each set includes a mouth mirror, sickle scaler, plaque scraper , tweezer & a dental pick. Made of stainless steel, the tools won't become dull or rust.
- HEALTHY - The benefits after you use oral care kit should not be underestimated as it can directly affect your overall health! Tartar/Plaque is made up of invisible harmful bacteria in the mouth that attach to the teeth & gum line. Plaque can cause tooth decay, cavities & gum disease. Removing Plaque usually requires a visit to the dentist, but with this surgical kit you can remove it yourself.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar (Organic)
Apple cider vinegar greatly reduces the swelling and pain associated with gum abscesses. It also acts as an a disinfectant.
- Swish 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar for about 15 minutes.
- Spit and rinse with warm water.
Turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory properties and is used to treat inflammation and pain associated with gum abscesses.
- Combine turmeric powder and water to make a paste.
- Apply paste to the gum abscess and leave for 10-15 mins.
- Rinse with warm water.
This can be done twice a day.
9. Cold Compress
A cold compress will help numb the affected area and decrease the swelling. To make a cold compress, wrap a few ice cubes in a small towel and apply on the outside of the gum abscess, the cheek, or the jaw line.
Home Remedies shows us a video for remedies for gum infection:
Do you have a home remedy for gum abscesses that you would like to share with us? Share with us in thgum abscessese comment section below.
- 3 Effective Home Remedies for Headaches
- 25 Surprisingly Simple Home Remedies for Cold and Flu
- 5 Home Remedies for Chigger Bites
- 147 Natural Remedies For Homesteading To Make Life Easier
The contents of this article are for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer.