Lesson 7: Blacksmithing Guide | How to Make Twisted Steel Handle Part I
Wondering how to make a twisted steel handle!? Well, in this lesson, you’ll do just that. In lesson 7 of our Blacksmithing Guide, our expert Armondo is gong to walk you through the steps necessary in order to make a twisted handle from a 1.5″ x 8″ steel peg. He’ll also teach you what a “half-face hammer throw” is. So get ready to learn some more blacksmithing lingo as well as more techniques necessary for becoming a successful blacksmith. In part 1 of this lesson, you’ll learn the first step in creating the twisted handle. You’ll see Armondo take what is a simple square steel peg, and begin molding it into an intricate piece of art. He begins with heating and hammering one end of the steel to create a flat diamond shaped end, thinner and perfect for mounting.
In this video:
- How to create a diamond shape out of steel.
- How to flatten a square piece of steel.
- Using the anvil as a measuring tool.
- The beginning stage of a twisted handle.
- Techniques for hammering.
- More tips on using the anvil.
- And much more.