According to the Center For Disease Control (CDC), About 75 million American adults (29%) have high blood pressure (also called hypertension). That’s 1 in every 3 American adults. Anyone, including children, can develop high blood pressure. It greatly increases the risk of heart disease and stroke, the first and third leading causes of death in the United States.
High Blood Pressure | Natural Methods You Should Know
If left untreated, it can present other numerous health problems as well. According to the American Heart Association, it causes the following:
- Heart attack — High blood pressure damages arteries that can become blocked and prevent blood from flowing to tissues in the heart muscle.
- Stroke — High blood pressure can cause blood vessels in the brain to burst or clog more easily.
- Heart failure — The increased workload from high blood pressure can cause the heart to enlarge and fail to supply blood to the body.
- Kidney disease or failure — High blood pressure can damage the arteries around the kidneys and interfere with their ability to effectively filter blood.
- Vision loss — High blood pressure can strain or damage blood vessels in the eyes.
- Sexual dysfunction — This can be erectile dysfunction in men or lower libido in women.
- Angina — Over time, high blood pressure can lead to heart disease or microvascular disease. Angina, or chest pain, is a common symptom.
- Peripheral artery disease (PAD) — Atherosclerosis caused by high blood pressure can cause a narrowing of arteries in the legs, arms, stomach, and head, causing pain or fatigue.
As you can see, high blood pressure is dangerous and medical treatment by your primary care physician is crucial.
The information within this article is not meant to replace any medical advice or medical treatment you receive from your primary care physician. The purpose of the following natural remedies is to help maintain healthy blood pressure while receiving medical treatment from your physician.
Let’s take a quick glance at the natural remedies I’ll be covering in today’s article:
- Fenugreek Seeds
- Onion Juice
Natural Ways To Lower High Blood Pressure
Due to their dietary fiber and high potassium content, fenugreek seeds play an important role in lowering high blood pressure.
- In a 2-quart sauce pan, boil 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds for 2 minutes and strain. Using a food processor blend the fenugreek seeds until a paste is formed.
- Eat this paste twice a day – once first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, then once in the evening.
This remedy should be done for 1-2 consecutive months to achieve best results.
Lemons help to keep blood vessels in a soft and pliable condition, which in turn can help control your blood pressure.
Also, due to the high vitamin C content in lemons, you can lower your chance of heart failure by consuming lemon juice regularly.
- Squeeze half of a lemon into a glass of water.
- Mix well and drink on an empty stomach in the morning.
For best results do not add sugar or salt.
Potassium consumption lessens the sodium effects in other foods. Since bananas are rich in potassium, they make a great natural remedy in blood pressure control. Try to eat at least 2 bananas a day.
Other foods rich in potassium that you should also consider are dried apricots, oranges, raisins, cantaloupe, spinach, zucchini, and winter squash.
Due to its ability to reduce stress in the heart and its calming effect on blood vessels, honey makes a great natural remedy in maintaining healthy blood pressure levels.
Remedy #1: Eat 2 teaspoons of honey in the morning on an empty stomach.
Remedy #2: Combine equal parts honey and basil juice and consume once a day on an empty stomach.
Garlic is a super food and is used for so many things regarding our health, including lowering high blood pressure. When garlic is used to lower high blood pressure, it lowers cholesterol levels at the same time.
This remedy involves crushed garlic. When garlic is crushed it releases hydrogen sulfide, which encourages healthier blood flow, reduces pressure on and around the heart, and helps to remove gas.
- Peel 1-2 cloves of garlic.
- Gently crushed them with a butter knife or the back of a spoon.
- Eat these cloves of garlic each morning.
If remedy #1 is too harsh by causing a burning sensation in your mouth or throat, you can simply add 4-6 drops of garlic juice to 4 teaspoons of water. This remedy can be done twice a day.
Phthalides inside celery relaxes the muscles in and around the arterial walls, which in turn, creates more space. The blood is then allowed to flow more freely. This process promotes healthy blood pressure levels.
- Eat 1-2 stalks of celery daily with a glass of water. If you prefer, you can just snack on celery throughout the day as long as it adds up to 1-2 stalks a day.
An antioxidant flavonol in onions, called quercetin, helps to promote healthy blood pressure levels.
The remedy is pretty simple. Just eat 1 medium sized, raw onion a day.
You can also combine ½ teaspoon of onion juice with ½ teaspoon of honey and consume this mixture twice a day for 1-2 weeks.
This video by Steve Morgan shows how to lower high blood pressure quickly:
Do you live with a medical condition? What natural remedy helps you deal with the symptoms? Share with us in the comment section below.
- What is Insomnia | Easy And Natural Ways To Fight Insomnia
- 26 Homemade Recipes For Cold And Flu Season
- Natural Poison Ivy Treatment That Works
The contents of this article are for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer.